Sunday, July 01, 2012

Nail Dystrophy in a Nurse

A colleague requested our opinion regarding a woman who contacted him, but has not seen.  Here are her words and photos.
" I am a 61 yo palliative care nurse who has had a nail dystrophy for around 14 months. There is no pain or discomfort. I take no meds by mouth and am in good general health. Every 2 weeks I get a professional manicure and have never had acrylic, gel or silk.  I tried "formaldehyde free" products for a while, as well as Biotin 5000mcg daily and noted no improvement.  As part of my job, I visit patients in their homes and wash my hands before & after each visit. Rarely do I have the need to wear gloves.  Your suggestions will be welcome."


Questions at this time:
1) Are all nails involved (including toe-nails)?
2) Has a dermatologist been consulted and have KOH prep and/or fungal culture been done?



1 comment:

  1. Ashok Kumar SharmaJuly 06, 2012

    In my opinion the nail dystrophy seen is not due to any fungus or any 'deficiency'. I would emphatically blame her regular manicure for it. I would suggest her to stop any manicure for 6 months and see; I am pretty certain her nails would improve.

    ReplyDelete

We welcome your comments. We endeavor to serve your patients and you. If you want us to respond, please add your name and email address. Some people have trouble uploading comments. In that case, please send comments directly to djelpern@gmail.com. Thank you.